When the Bridal Party just WON'T Dance...

You can only do so much...
Sitting at the table to my extreme left was the entire Bridal Party - about 10 young men and women who had requested a bunch of songs that they swore they'd dance to.

That's important to me, because if the Bridal Party is out on the dance floor the bride and groom will join, then family members, etc. AND the point of me being there is to create a great dance environment.

They requested Top 40 and 90's Hip Hop. I started the dancing with some 60's and 80's; lots of the aunts, uncles, cousins and even grandmothers hit the dance floor. The Bridal Party sat, waiting for their time.
After what I felt was a reasonable Oldies dance period I went into the Hip Hop - "This is how we do it"... Nobody got up, and all those aunts and cousins left the dance floor. Alright, here's a great one... "Let me clear my throat"! Still NOTHING from the Bridal Party, who just stared at the empty floor. Okay, one more, "Bang Bang" by Minaj and Jessie Jay, followed by "all about that Bass". I figured Top 40 was better for them. A stray bridesmaid pulled her mate out to the floor, and they danced a bit, but he trod off, embarassed.

I was confounded, and tried Apache (Jump on it). The Aunts and the older crowd returned with gusto! The Bride even joined in (and she was REALLY exhausted). Still nothing from the Young Ones in Bridesmaid Dresses. Now I had a choice - to entertain those who were already partying on the dance floor with a great collection of 60's thru 80's, with the occasional "safe" top 40 song like blurred lines, or should I keep throwing in (and throwing up!) Hip Hop, Rap, Big Top 40 in hope that the Bridal Party would get up, and alienate my core group of dancers?

Add to this that the Bride's Request List had Grease, Paradise by the Dashboard Light and some Backstreet Boys on it. The Older crowd loved the Grease and Meatloaf anyway, so the bride could dance (although most of the friends remained down). Nobody danced to Spice Girls or BSB. I led the Cupid Shuffle, which worked for a moment (and made my heart light up), but then they cleared the floor again just as fast when I played one of the girls' requests.

Here's my dilemma. Top 40 is NOT working, and the Hip Hop's been burned out. Even Michael Jackson barely got them out. But My everything (barry white), Beatles, Motown, even We are family and (gasp!!) Celebration did very well... Do I keep playing the oldies and catering to the majority of older guests, or do I push on deeper into rap maybe, or Club? Decided to try Timber (pitbull) followed by Danza Kuduro. Very little response from the Bridal Party's table.

Here's the Moral for ALL DJ's and Brides to remember: If it Ain't Working, Let it GO! Find what works and stick with that! I know you've ALL been to weddings where the DJ is blaring 20 Top 40 Songs in a row, and three girls are dancing. Meanwhile, all the other guests are leaving, and the DJ hides cozily behind his equipment playing on his IPhone. It Should NOT be that way. A great DJ will take requests and play the Crowd, and make every EFFORT to involve the most people.